3/16/2011

Diamante Poems

tea
hot, healthy
drinking, slurping, swallowing
A strong sugared Assam.
delightful


lies
sweet, charming
inventing, talking, growing
Lies become ill constructions.
discovering, revealing, hurting
harmful, sad
truth


Cinquains are poems which are appealing in their form as well as content. What I like about diamante poems is that they are precise and poetic at the same time. Moreover, the predetermined structure helps to write the poem and specify the message.

So, when I thought about writing a diamante poem about tea, I first started with brainstorming about what this beverage means to me, and what sort of attributes is has. The same I did with lies which happen to be charming at first glance but eventually become harmful constructions. The core of the lies-poem was therefore meant to mark the turning point within the poem. Lies are sooner or later revealed, so that the truth is the outcome of these exposed constructions. The lies-poem had to evince a development of thought. Writing down some adjectives and adjectival present participles made it easier for me to finally compose diamante poems such as tea and lies.

© Vanessa Wohlrath

1 Kommentar:

  1. Great! Besides, I love tea, so your first poem hits my soft spot! And I think you have achieved a really good flow and transition in your Lies-Truth poem.

    AntwortenLöschen